Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Continue to Forgive...70X7



Letting myself forgive those who have hurt me was a long and arduous journey.  Anyone who has done this can attest that it is a humbling experience to ask for forgiveness, as well as, forgive others of what they have done to harm you.  However, the process cannot stop here.  We must ask the question, “What do I do when someone continues to hurt me?”

I was recently asked this question in a counseling session.  My client asked what they should do about a certain friend who continued to betray trust and go behind the client’s back to hurt them. 

I think the question is a fair one.  I think it must be addressed.  I think Jesus said it best. 

Matthew 18:21-22 21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

I know that I have heard this passage many times, and have even heard pastors teach this passage on more than one occasion, but I don’t think I have ever noticed one critical word.  This word is “Brother.”  When the question is asked, Peter was indicating that either his brother Andrew, or one of the “brothers” from among Jesus’ disciples was sinning against him.  I’m amazed by this detail, because the command that comes next seems harsh, but when placed in the context of the Body of Christ, it is right at home. 

We are told in the book of 1 Corinthians that Love has several attributes that defy human logic.  Love being the quintessential gift that is given from the Father to His children.  Love is forgiving.  Moreover, Love is named by Jesus as the one identifying attribute of his followers (John 13:35).  So the context of love and forgiveness is not only serious, but it is (at least in this case) focused on the body of believers. 

The short answer is, “When the sinner is a brother, forgive him, and when they are an unbeliever, show them the Love of Jesus, and forgive them.”

When you find yourself attempting to allow the healing of the Holy Spirit to infiltrate your life after your church has found a pastor, forgiveness will be an ongoing issue.  It is ongoing because your “brother” will sin against you, and your mandate is forgiveness.  However, be aware that by doing this, by allowing your brother to be forgiven in the sight of all men, the world will see that you are a follower of Jesus. 

What more could a believer ask for, than to be identified as a follower of the Most High God?

No comments:

Post a Comment