Monday, July 19, 2010

Take A Step

As much as churches need to take in to consideration people who are already in places of service in the church, many service members of our churches need to begin to ask themselves if they are the ones that need to be leading at that particular time. When an individual begins to see him or herself as a leader with specific gifts, they begin the process leading.
As a staff member at one of my first churches, I saw a pastor resign to accept another position elsewhere and began to wonder who would take care of the duties that will be left vacant upon his departure. I wondered if there would be a deacon from our church come in to the office to make sure the staff and other organizations were working at full steam. I wondered if we would elect a team which could help guide us to the next pastor, as well as motivate us during the interim.
What I found instead was a simple neglect of all leadership by the church. No deacon, No Team, No leadership. Opinions ran the gamut and were all voiced with great volume, yet no one dared to take responsibility for the time that was slipping by. A few times, I thought to myself, “What if I, a 20 year old college kid, were to lead this church?...If only for a short time.” Quickly I would come up with some excuse not to pursue such a place, and I would go back to my work.
The problem is that I should have stepped up, and fought the good fight. I should have given these people a reason to have a deacon and team join in the leadership of the church. I should have made my leadership skills and desires work for the church in the Spirit’s power.
If you are someone who is not leading, but could, make a difference. Make a change. Make sure that you don’t look back on this time and wonder what might have been. Even if you are a twenty-something part-time staff member with little experience, and a bad haircut. God favors the obedient, not the strong.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Bro. I am reminded of 1 Timothy 4:12-
    "Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." (NLT)

    ReplyDelete