Monday, August 2, 2010

Find Rest


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30 (ESV)

Most likely, my most fundamental failure during my early years without a pastor was my inability to take rest in the Lord. Resting in general seemed like a dereliction of my duties, and might just result in my being asked to resign. I began to believe the lie that, “business is next to godliness.” That yoke was laid upon me by the evil one, and I bore that burden for far too long.


My days were long and my toil was great. My ambitions were lofty and my planning was calculated. My hope was steadfast and my aim was true to tradition. The only problem was that my focus was on building great facilities, programs, music, and numbers. The absence of the Holy Spirit during planning was evident in every venture of the church. Occasionally I would find myself in the darkest of times (usually after deacons meetings, or personnel committee meetings) where I would weep and cry out for God’s direction and strength; and God would faithfully deliver me and my broken church to a time of great passion and good work.


Resting in Him is the only way to start the process of growth. It is not through work that we find success, it is through the deliverance of us by the Spirit.


1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts Jeremy. It's in those moments that the church is without Sr. leadership that people look to those left on staff for some leadership but unknowingly they don't mantle them with leader but with more work and expectations.

    In all of my years of ministry I have seen far too many ministers take this "addition" of duties like a drug and live off the adrenaline of being needed. That lie will take you down every time.

    Great point in taking rest...even without a leader the "leader" needs time to refuel.

    ReplyDelete