Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Scriptures Were Writen for You Too...

One of the greatest tools for our connection with our personal Lord and Savior is the use of the scriptures. Yet, during a time of trial and stress like that of losing your pastor, scripture easily becomes a tool of work rather than a tool of rest and restoration.

The scriptures are a great source of strength and support and must be used that way. One of my struggles when without a pastor was that I used my study and devotion time to prepare myself for some meeting of my church, or a lesson that needed to be prepared. Sometimes, my job as a teacher would distract me from being near the Teacher. For much of my office life I would study the word for the sake of a disciple study for my students. My Bible became nothing more than a source of teaching material.

The fundamental flaw in this scenario is that I failed to utilize the scripture for my own edification. Some have told me that this is a greatly superficial and self-centered point of view, but I disagree. I am fully aware of the way that the scriptures open teaching channels with other people, but none of that teaching will be worth the effort if it simply comes out of the reserve tank.
We need to open the Bible with our notebook in the other room…put the pen down and remove your current sermon series from your memory banks. Sit back and let the scriptures woo you back to a place where the only thing on your mind was your Christ, and how much he loves you. Make the scriptures your only source of strength and allow yourself to become selfish with them.

Whether you are a lay leader or full-time church staff, you must re-plant your feet on the solid rock of the Word of God.

1 comment: