Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tool

I heard a story once while I was still a teenager that told of a logger whose dream of being the greatest logger in history was thwarted by a dull axe head. I giggled and chuckled a bit while calling my youth minister a dork for using such a ridiculous analogy.

“He should have used a chainsaw in the first place…Technology will always be able to pick up where we fall short…”

And I suppose I believed myself for many years. That is, until I found myself alone on a Monday morning for the 10th week in a row, asking myself, “Why isn’t this program working?”

Programs and technology will never be able to fix a problem in a church; and it especially will never produce a positive outcome when people’s hearts are broken. The only thing that could help me was to begin to at myself and take account of how dull I had become. It no longer mattered with what force I swung my axe, nor was the outcome affected by how potent my swinging style had been. I was the problem. I must take the time EACH DAY to sharpen myself, in order that I might be effective when force is applied.

Take the time…Make yourself sharp again.

No comments:

Post a Comment